Centralization of the Homeowner’s Grant
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR 2021 TAXES
The Property Tax Due Date is July 2, 2021. Property Tax notices will be mailed in late May 2021. If you have not received your 2021 property tax notice by early June, please contact the Municipal Office at 250 449 2222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Postmarks are not accepted as proof of payment. A 10% penalty will be added to current taxes that are not paid on or before Friday, July 2, 2021.
B.C.’s HOMEOWNER GRANT CENTRALIZATION
Effective 2021 all homeowner grant applications must be submitted directly to the B.C. provincial government through a secure online application.
When can B.C. homeowners apply?
As of February 16th, homeowners can apply for their current year or their retroactive homeowner grants online at www.gov.bc.ca/homeownergrant
If the homeowner would prefer to apply over the phone, they can call the contact centre toll free at 1-888-355-2700 to speak with an agent. The contact centre will begin taking applications over the phone as of February 16th.
Municipalities can no longer accept any homeowner grant applications
Where to go if you should have questions?
Starting immediately, homeowners can find this information about this change at www.gov.bc.ca/homeownergrant or they can call toll free: 1-888-355-2700 to speak with an agent.
- The Province will start to accept current year and retroactive grants online starting February 16, 2021
- Their call centre and ServiceBC staff will also accept applications on February 16, 2021
- Note that while a homeowner can apply for their current year grant, the application will not be approved until taxes are levied in May; they will remain in a hold status
- Homeowners can subscribe to receive updates at www.gov.bc.ca/homeownergrant
Ready to apply?
The best time to apply is after you receive your property tax notice in the mail and before your property tax due date.
- Wait to receive your property tax notice in the mail.
- Keep your property tax notice on hand. It has important numbers you’ll need to apply.
- You can apply quickly and easily online
- If you’re unable to apply online, call the Province at 1-888-355-2700
By centralizing this program within B.C. government reports this will:
- Ensure homeowners receive the grant amount they are eligible for, such as the additional grant for seniors or persons with disability
- Automate the approval process for grants resulting in quicker application processing – this will help prevent homeowners from being penalized for late property tax payments.